Monday, March 30, 2009

indian lady

Dei! I was at some kopitiam the other day, and was looking around, and this group of women really caught my attention! There were about 10 of them, all happily chatting away. Talking and listening. Listening and talking. Laughing. Aiyo-ing. Doing all the appropriate things MakCiks should do.

The thing that made me go blink-blink was, there was this Indian lady sitting among the rest of the Chinese women, talking (freekin) Mandarin! And Hokkien! Hokkien! Way more fluently than I could! My jaw literally dropped. She's one awesome MakCik I tell you.

Now why is it that I find it common for a Chinese MakCik to communicate in Bahasa Melayu with an Indian MakCik? Or a Malay MakCik speaking Bahasa Melayu to a Chinese MakCik and the Indian MakCik standing beside the Chinese MakCik replies in Bahasa Melayu as well?

And I find it totally bizarre when I see an Indian MakCik speaking perfect Mandarin to her Chinese MakCik friends?

Aww c'mon. I know you do, too. Admit it! Admit it!

No comments: